The Potteries Prize for Flash Fiction 2018!
We’re thrilled to announce the details of our second Potteries Prize for Flash Fiction competition in conjunction with Stoke-on-Trent Libraries. Our inaugural competition was such a success that enabled us to celebrate a rich diversity of fiction writing from across the region during our prize giving event last November.
This year we’re opening up the competition for writers from, or with a connection to Stoke on Trent and North Staffordshire. Same rules apply; make us laugh, make us cry, tell us your story, but be sure to do it in 100 – 350 words! As last year, we’ll have prizes for winners and runners up in the categories of ‘Most beautiful use of language’, ‘Best line’, ‘Most compelling character’ and ‘Most entertaining story’ and we’ll be organising a celebratory event with City Central Library for the autumn. See below for all details, and of course, good luck!
- Submissions will only be considered from writers who currently live, or work, or study, or are a member of a writers’ group in Stoke-on-Trent or North Staffordshire.
- There is no charge for submissions.
- A maximum of one story per person may be submitted.
- Entries must not have been previously published in print or online or won a prize.
- Authors must be 16 or over at the closing date.
- Poetry and children’s fiction will not be accepted.
- Stories must be suitable for reading at a family event, so please be mindful of language or themes that could offend or be unsuitable.
- Stories must be between 100 and 350 words (excluding the title).
- Entries can be on any theme or subject but must be written in English for adult readers.
- Submissions must be received by the end of Saturday 25th August 2018.
- Stories can be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post or by hand for the attention of Emma George, City Central Library, Bethesda Street, Hanley, ST1 3RS.
- Although submissions are judged ‘blind’, no relatives of the Potteries Prize organiser, administrator or judges may submit.
- Winners and Runners Up will have their stories shared on the Potteries Prize website. Authors retain copyright.
- The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
How to Submit
Our submissions process ensures that our judges select the shortlisted and winning stories without knowing the names of the authors.
This is how to submit your stories –
- Please read the rules above before submitting.
- Email your stories to email@example.com or post / hand deliver to the City Central Library, Bethesda Street, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent ST1 3RS marked for the attention of Emma George.
- If you are emailing your story, attach the story as a Word document (.doc) or type it into the body of the email
- For all submissions, Include the title of your story and the word count.
- For all submissions, Include your name, address, email, phone number, the title of your story (for cross referencing), and your connection with Stoke-on-Trent / Staffordshire if it is other than where you live.
- You will be contacted by the end of September if your story makes the shortlist, or is runner up or winner. These results will be made available on the Potteries Prize website page and we will hold a prize giving event in the autumn.
Stuck for ideas? All of our ‘first, second and third’ entries in each of the four prize categories from 2017 are still live on the library website here.